This flavour-packed chicken roulade with Clonakilty Blackpudding is a great mid-week meal or impressive dish for a special occasion. Richy served his chicken roulade with sweet potato mash, asparagus, roast tomatoes and velouté sauce. It’s a great recipe because the chicken goes well with a lot of different flavours so you can experiment with your favourite vegetables and side dishes to serve it with.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 chopped onion
- 280g Clonakilty Blackpudding
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp chopped garlic
1. Braise chopped onion and garlic. Add chopped Clonakilty Blackpudding, thyme and seasoning.
2. Butterfly the chicken breasts and cover with cling film. Bash with a rolling pin until each portion is thin and flat (5mm).
3. Put 2-3 tablespoons of Blackpudding mix on the base of the flattened chicken breasts.
4. Using the cling film, roll the chicken breasts tightly into sausage shapes. Then roll in tin foil.
5. Bring a pan of water to boil and simmer the chicken in the cling film and tin foil wraps for about 20 minutes, until the roulades are firm and cooked through.
6. Let cool a bit, unwrap, and slice to serve.
Thanks to Clonakilty Chef Richy Virahsawmy for this fantastic recipe. Well known for demonstrating delicious, home-cooking on RTE's Today Show, Richy has a fabulous restaurant in Clonakilty town, definitely worth visiting.