This recipe is an absolute must-try. Far more interesting than your standard meatball, these Clonakilty inspired meatballs go down extremely well on a winter’s evening or a summer’s afternoon. You can please everyone with this stunning recipe as it can be served with anything from mash and gravy to a mixed leaf salad.
- 500g beef mince
- 4 slices Clonakilty Backpudding
- 4 slices Clonakilty Whitepudding
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 handful of parsley
- 1 tin mixed beans
- Salt & pepper
1. Combine the mince, Blackpudding, Whitepudding, 1 garlic clove and 1 chilli in a large bowl.
2. Mix well until a smooth paste forms. Roll paste into medium sized balls and leave them for 20 minutes to rest.
3. Combine all of the other ingredients in a thick bottomed pot and slowly bring to the boil. Liquidise the mixture until you achieve a smooth consistency.
4. Drop the meatballs into the sauce and cook for 20 minutes. Season to taste. Add more chilli, BBQ sauce or beans if desired.
5. Serve with melted mature Irish cheddar and serve with a crusty baguette or fresh soda bread.
Many thanks to Chef Darren from Arthur Maynes Wine Bar for this delightful recipe.