Serves 4. Cook time 30mins
- Prepare the mash: Peel the potatoes, place into a pan, cover with water, season with salt and boil for about 15 minutes until soft. Meanwhile in a small frying pan cook the diced leeks and blackpudding in the butter.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a potato ricer directly into the pan with the leek and black pudding. Mix well and season if required.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal amounts and shape into 'fishcake' sized rounds. Pat down with a palette knife so they are even all over. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes until firm.
- Place the beaten egg, flour and breadcrumbs on three separate plates. Dip each potato cake in the flour first, then the eggs and finally the breadcrumbs. Shallow fry the cakes in a little oil and then keep warm.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and gently pan cook the sausages until golden brown.
- Serve the sausages with gravy, potato cake and a little sprig of watercress to finish.
900g (2lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
2 leeks, washed and finely diced
100g Clonakilty Blackpudding, cut into small cubes
2 eggs, beaten
100 g flour
100g fresh breadcrumbs
400g Clonakilty Traditional Sausages
Oil for frying
Watercress to garnish