This is one that all you pastry lovers simply have to try. With rich flavours that really pack a punch, the Clonakilty Blackpudding, onion and apple puff pastry parcels are an absolutely delicious treat. Always a winner, why not make an evening of it and invite your friends over to see what they think.
Makes 18 mini parcels.
- 140g Clonakilty Blackpudding
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 cooking apple
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Puff pastry (defrost in the fridge overnight)
- 1 egg for brushing
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
2. Core, peel and chop the apple.
3. Stew the apple in a saucepan with a tablespoon of caster sugar and a splash of water until it begins to soften but still has bite.
4. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
5. Peel and finely chop the onion.
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
7. Slice the Blackpudding into rounds and fry on one side.
8. Turn pudding over, add the onion and cook until the pudding is cooked.
9. Remove the pudding and onion from the pan and place in a bowl together and mash with a fork.
10. Open up the pastry sheets and use a knife to cut each sheet into nine squares (there are usually 2 sheets in a box).
11. Place a mound of apple on each square and top with a mound of pudding.
12. Beat the egg and use a pastry brush to wet the edges of each parcel.
13. Pull up diagonally opposite corners and stick together with the egg.
14. Place the parcels on a baking tray and brush over the pastry with more egg.
15. Cook for approx. 20 minutes in the oven until nicely puffed up and brown.
16. Serve warm with a blob of stewed apple on the side.
Recipe by Sheila Kiely at 'Gimme the Recipe' blog.