Clonakilty Blackpudding Sausage and chicken hot pot
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
This recipe is an easy one-pot winter warmer combining chicken thighs and Clonakilty Blackpudding Sausages in a comforting hotpot, topped with scalloped potatoes. This hearty winter dish makes for the perfect midweek meal or weekend treat and is best served with green beans or fresh green peas.
50g butter (plus extra for greasing)
4 tsp olive oil
8 Clonakilty Blackpudding Sausages
4 chicken thighs
2 onions (thinly sliced)
Salt and black pepper
2 tbsp plain flour
700ml chicken stock
1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves (chopped)
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1kg potatoes (thinly sliced)
2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
2. Grease a large casserole dish with butter.
3. Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan.
4. Cook the Clonakilty Blackpudding Sausages for 2-3 minutes per side until browned, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
5. Add the remaining oil to the same pan and brown the chicken thighs for 3-4 minutes per side until golden.
6. Transfer to the plate with the Clonakilty Blackpudding Sausages, keeping any fat in the pan.
7. Add the onions to the same pan with a pinch of salt and a splash of water. Cook for 3-4 minutes until beginning to soften, then sprinkle over the flour and stir to coat.
8. Add the stock, herbs and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until the liquid has thickened.
9. Divide the potato slices into three batches and arrange the first batch in the base of the prepared casserole dish.
10. Season with salt and pepper, then add the chicken pieces and carrots. Pour over half of the gravy.
11. Arrange a second layer of potatoes over the chicken pieces.
12. Season again and add the Clonakilty Blackpudding Sausages and the remaining stock.
13. Top with the final layer of potatoes, then dot with the butter.
14. Press the top of the hotpot down with the back of a spatula.
15. Put the lid on the casserole dish (or cover with foil) and place in the oven for one hour.
16. Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes until the potatoes on the top are crisp and golden.
17. Serve the hot pot in bowls with some green vegetables.
A huge thank you to our friends at Easy Food Magazine for this delicious recipe.