CLONAKILTY MIDDLE EASTERN SAUSAGE BAKED RICE
Serves: • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
This Middle Eastern inspired dish is perfect for all the family to enjoy this Autumn. A wholesome and unique recipe packed full of flavour.
3 onions sliced
1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
2 tsp cumin
1 pack of Clonakilty Ispíní Sausages
Middle Eastern spices, you can buy premade or make your own using 1 tsp each of cumin, turmeric, sumac, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 4 cardamom pods opened and crushed.
Pinch saffron crushed and bloomed in an ice cube.
1 cup Basmati rice rinsed and drained
1.75 cups chicken stock
Raisins, almond flakes, pomegranate seeds, parsley, lemon, red onion
- Fry onions in some oil until dark (about 15 minutes) then set aside.
- Fry chickpeas in oil and cumin until crispy (about 15 minutes) then set aside.
- Mix the Ispíní Sausages with the spices and bloomed saffron and fry until starting to brown, then set aside (they won’t be fully cooked yet).
- Add rice, half of the chickpeas, half the onions and the stock, and mix. Top with the sausages and cover and bake in the oven at 230c for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven but leave the cover on for a further 10 minutes to steam.
- Garnish with the remaining chickpeas and onions and the additional garnish ingredients.
- Squeeze on lemon and enjoy.
A huge thank you to Fordy for creating this unique and wholesome recipe. Check out @fordyfeasts for more of his creations.