Clonakilty Veggie Pudding Rigatoni Pasta Bake
Serves: • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
Try out this wholesome meat-free winter warmer! Perfect dinner for all the family and will also work well for lunch the following day, a win win tasty dish.
- 1 x chub Clonakilty Veggie Pudding
- 15g butter or 1 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
- 1 x large onion, finely chopped
- 1 x red bell pepper, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 x carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 20g packet of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- 250g bag of rigatoni
- 1 x ball of mozzarella (original or vegan)
- Parmesan or vegan-friendly cheese
Prepare your veggies
- Use a food processor to finely chop a peeled onion, then place in a bowl.
- Repeat for the red bell pepper, place in another bowl.
- Top, tail and peel the carrot, and using a box grater (or the grater attachment of your processor) grate finely and place into the bowl with the red pepper.
- Take the leaves off the basil and set aside for later. Chop the basil stalks and add to the carrot and red pepper.
Get the sauce under way
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat, add butter or olive oil.
- Add the onion, stir to coat with the oil, place the lid on and leave to gently sweat for five minutes. Add the carrot and red pepper, stir, replace the lid, and cook for a further five minutes.
- Add two tins of tomatoes and a dash of water, stir, replace lid, turn down the heat a little and cook for 25 minutes.
Prepare the veggie pudding
- Remove Clonakilty Veggie Pudding from all packaging, slice lengthways and cut each half into six pieces to make 12 half-moons.
- Taking one piece at a time, place in your hand where the fingers meet the palm and gently squeeze and turn the pudding to create a little torpedo shape. Repeat for the other pieces, place on a tray and pop in the fridge to firm up.
Get the pasta on
- Check your sauce, give it a stir.
- Place a saucepan of salted water on a high heat. When the water comes to a boil, add pasta.
- When the pasta is half cooked, remove sauce from the heat and pour into a blender and blitz for 2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of sea salt, a pinch of black pepper and blitz for another minute.
Fry the pudding and bring it all together!
- Next, place a large frying pan over a medium high heat and add a generous glug of oil. Remove the veggie pudding torpedoes and fry just long enough to colour on all sides.
- Add half the tomato sauce to the veggie pudding, stir to combine, add torn basil leaves.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the water to add to the tomato sauce to loosen it a little. Add pasta to the sauce and veggie pudding and bring together.
- Place everything into a baking dish, and top with cheeses.
- Place under the hot grill for 10 minutes until everything is bubbling and golden.