Clonakilty Veggie Sausage Cassoulet
Serves: Serves 6-8 • Prep Time: 20 mins • Cook Time: 40 mins
A traditional French dish with a Clonakilty Veggie Twist. A cassoulet is a mixture of beans and sausages in a tomato-based sauce, one pan with veggie pudding and breadcrumb crunchy topping. A simply delicious dish that the whole family is sure to love.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x packs veggie sausages
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 x 400g tins cannellini or haricot beans
- 1 1/2 pints stock/water
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- ½ veggie pudding, crumbled
- Flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based saucepan. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat until softened slightly.
- Add the garlic and stir around quickly. Cut each sausage into 3 piece; add to the onion and garlic. Leave them colour slightly but ensure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the tins of tomato, stock, beans and bay leaves. Season well with salt and pepper. Add the sugar to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Bring the cassoulet to the boil; scatter half of the breadcrumbs over the top. Place in the oven, without the lid. Leave to cook for 30 minutes.
- Break the crust and leave more liquid come to the surface. Scatter with the remaining breadcrumbs and veggie pudding.
- Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes. The crust should be golden, sausages cooked and most the liquid absorbed by the beans. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve from the pot at the table.
Thanks you to the very talented Lily Higgins for this wholesome recipe.