Clonakilty blackpudding and apple potato tartlets
Serves: 6 • Prep Time: 15 mins • Cook Time: 45 mins
Rustle up these sweet savoury Clonakilty Blackpudding tartlets for brunch, lunch or dinner and enjoy with a simple green leafy salad. Perfect for dining alfresco during those lovely summer evenings.
For the sauce:
150g sour cream
50g crème fraiche
Juice and zest 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
For the tartlets:
320g sheet shortcrust pastry
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 granny smith apple, thinly sliced
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp olive oil
20g thyme, chopped
1 tsp vegetable oil
50g Clonakilty Streaky Rashers, cut into small strips
2 potatoes, cooked and cut into cubes
100g Clonakilty Blackpudding Crumb
1 tbsp chives, chopped
- For the sauce, in a bowl, combine the sour cream, crème fraiche, the lemon juice and zest. Season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease six 10cm round tart tins and line the bases with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll the pastry to about 4mm thick and cut into six equal pieces. Lift the pastry into the prepared tins, pushing it into the sides. Trim away any excess
- Line the pastry with some parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Bake the pastry blind for about 10-15 minutes or until the sides of the pastry are a pale golden colour. Remove the paper and the beans and bake for a further 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the filling, in a bowl, combine the fennel, spring onions and apple. In a jug, whisk together the honey, olive oil and thyme. Pour over the apple mix and toss together.
- In a frying pan, over a medium heat, heat the oil. Add the sliced streaky rashers and fry for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen roll and allow to cool.
- To assemble the tartlets, add 1 tablespoons of the sour cream mix to the base of each pastry case. Reserve any leftover sour cream mix for serving.
- Add some cubed potatoes, streaky rashers, fennel mix and top with blackpudding crumb. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the tart cases onto a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool slightly before removing from their tart tins.
- Top each tartlet with some chopped chives and black pepper. Serve with the leftover sour cream mix, rocket and some chopped walnuts.