Clonakilty Ispíní Stuffing Bombs
Serves: 15 stuffing balls • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
Clonakilty Ispíní Stuffing Bombs, the perfect starter or side dish to your Christmas dinner. A unique stuffing recipe bursting with flavour.
1 x 227gpack of Clonakilty ‘Ispíní’ Sausages, meat removed from casings
2 tsp oil
30g butter, melted
250g fresh breadcrumbs
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 sprigs of sage, leaves picked and chopped
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked and chopped
100ml chicken stock
1 ball of Mozzarella, cut into small cubes
75g plain flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- To make the stuffing, cook the Clonakilty ‘Ispíní’ Sausage meat in a medium size pan over medium heat. Add 1 tsp of oil to the pan, when hot add the sausage meat and cook for 6-8 minutes, breaking it down with the back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add the second tsp of oil to the pan and cook the onions for 5 minutes until translucent and soft.
- In a large mixing bowl add the onions, sausage meat, herbs, chicken stock, melted butter, 150g of the bread crumbs and mix well so the sausage meat is well incorporated. Pop in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Divide the stuffing into approx. 15 pieces, golf ball size. Add a portion of stuffing to your hand and spread it out, put a piece of the mozzarella in the center, then enclose the cheese in the stuffing and roll it into a ball. Repeat with the remaining stuffing and mozzarella.
- Put the flour, eggs, and remaining 75g of bread crumbs into three separate shallow bowls. Dip each prepared stuffing ball into the flour, followed by the eggs and finally, the breadcrumbs. Transfer to a large plate until frying.
- Half-fill a large, heavy-based saucepan with vegetable oil and heat over medium-low until it reads 170C on a cooking thermometer. Fry the stuffing balls in batches and cook for 8-10 mins, or until golden brown and melted in the centre.
- Dry on a tray lined with kitchen paper and serve cranberry sauce.
Thanks to Easy Food for creating this delicious festive recipe.