Clonakilty Blackpudding Shepherds Pie
Serves: 6 • Prep Time: • Cook Time: 40
Go hearty and wholesome with this all time classic Shepherd’s Pie. Add a slight twist to the dish by adding 200g of crumbed Clonakilty Blackpudding for a perfect school night dinner.
1 onion diced
2 carrots, diced
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1lb of lamb/beef mince
200g Clonakilty Blackpudding
100ml Balsamic vinegar
300ml beef stock
- Peel and cut potatoes into even sizes.
- Place them in a saucepan with seasoned water and cook until tender.
- Once coked, strain and mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Now heat the milk and butter and add to the mash with the grated cheese. Mix well and set aside until needed.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- In a large saucepan, start frying off the mine until all the fat has rendered out and evaporated. The mice should take on a nice golden colour. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Now add the onion and carrot to the pan ad cook until softened.
- Add Clonakilty Blackpudding and cook until golden brown.
- Add the mince back to the pan and deglaze with balsamic vinegar.
- Now add the stock and Worcester sauce and allow to cook on a medium heat until the sauce thickens and reduces.
- Finally finish it with peas, a tiny amount of gravy browning and a good seasoning of sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Place the mince mixture into a casserole dish.
- Position the potato on top and ruffle with a fork.
- Place under the grill, keeping a close eye on it for 15 minutes. Serve straight to the table.